Oakland University to honor outstanding alumni at 23rd annual awards banquet
As part of its annual Homecoming and Reunion Weekend, Oakland University will recognize alumni and friends who have achieved success in business, community services, volunteerism and other areas on Friday, Oct. 13 at the 23rd annual Alumni Awards Banquet.
The event kicks off with a reception at 6 p.m., followed by a dinner and program at 7 p.m. at Meadow Brook Hall on Oakland’s campus.
The Honorable Bryan K. Barnett, SBA `98, Mayor of Rochester Hills and Vice Chair of the Oakland University Alumni Association Board of Directors, will serve as master of ceremonies.
This year’s honorees include
- The Honorable Peter J. Lucido, CAS ’83, State Representative, 36th District, State of Michigan, will receive the Distinguished Alumni Service Award, which is Oakland’s highest alumni honor. It recognizes peerless volunteer leadership in service to OU or its alumni association.
- Jacquelyn Wagner, CAS ’03, Opera Singer, Soprano, will receive the Distinguish Alumni Achievement Award, which honors outstanding professional achievement or contribution to the community.
- Ida M. Malian, Ph.D., CAS ‘70, Associate Dean of Academic Systems and Professor of Special Education, Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College, Arizona State University, will receive the Odyssey Award. It recognizes alumni whose lives exemplify Oakland University’s motto to “seek virtue and knowledge.”
- Michael Lerchenfeldt, SEHS ‘08, Teacher, Chippewa Valley Schools, and Mark Guthrie, SBA ‘91, SECS ‘86, Corporate Director of Information Technologies, Spartan Motors, Inc., will each receive the Spirit Award, which honors exemplary volunteer service to the university.
- Amanda L. Rymiszewski, SBA ’09, Marketing Manager, O’Keefe and Mary (Puzerski) Sloan, SEHS ‘69, ‘63, Retired Teacher, will each receive the Alumni Community Service Award, which recognizes distinctive service of a humanitarian nature or citizenship through community, public, or OU service activities.
- Jeffrey Cook, SHS ‘14, ‘11, Owner, Premier Rehabilitation and Jared Bogdanov-Hanna, CAS '08 will each receive the Outstanding Young Alumni Award, which honors alumni who have demonstrated the worth of their education through their post-college achievements and, generally, have graduated within the last 10 years.
- April M. Clobes, President and CEO, Oakland University Credit Union, will receive the Honorary Alumni Award, which is given to individuals who have not graduated from OU, but who have given outstanding service to the university.
For more information on the Oakland University Alumni Association, visit oualumni.com or contact Erin Sudrovech, director of alumni engagement, at (248) 364-6136 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about OU’s Homecoming and Reunion Weekend, visit oakland.edu/homecoming.